MID-HUDSON REGION (December Governor Andrew M. Cuomo has announced that State funding is being awarded to 38 rail and aviation safety, security and economic development projects across the State. This funding will generate approximately $36 million in new investments for transportation projects statewide.
“New York remains a vital transportation hub, as well as a tourism destination, and this funding will help ensure travel to and in this state is safer, more convenient and more reliable,” Governor Cuomo said. “By investing in our transportation infrastructure, we are making long term improvements to our rail and aviation systems in order to better serve the people who use them, while also expanding economic opportunities throughout New York.”
New York State awarded $17.8 million in funding from the State’s Passenger and Freight Rail Assistance Program to 12 rail projects that will repair and replace 65 miles of track and ties, rehabilitate rail grade crossings and bridges, and construct new connections to improve safety and operations.
The State also awarded $9 million to 26 aviation projects through the Governor’s Aviation Capital Grants Program. These investments will enhance airport safety and security, including taxi-lane striping and markings, runway and airfield maintenance, and installation of automatic weather observation stations. Other airport related improvements that will benefit from this funding include the construction and rehabilitation of new and existing airport terminals and aircraft hangars.
The funding being allocated today was included in the State’s 2014-15 budget.
The projects that received the funding were selected through a competitive solicitation process and rated on established criteria, including project eligibility, consistency with state rail and aviation plans, regional economic benefits, and the ability to leverage additional investments.
Among those projects awarded are:
- · Middletown & New Jersey Railroad LLC of Kennett Square, Pa., received $1.9 million to rehabilitate railroad track in Orange County.
- · Sullivan County International Airport in Bethel, Sullivan County, received $891,000 for the construction of an additional corporate bulk hangar;
· Joseph Y. Resnick Airport in Wawarsing, Ulster County, received $399,600 to construct a fixed base operator business and maintenance hangar;
- · Orange County Airport in Montgomery, Orange County, received $15,200 for marking and restriping taxiways;
- · Randall Airport in Wallkill, Orange County, received $238,500 for structural improvements to the terminal building;
- · Warwick Municipal Airport in Warwick, Orange County, received $22,500 for upgrading the fuel dispensing system.